Medical Laboratory Assistant - RCYTLAB0013
Cyted's mission is to revolutionise diagnostic methods to build a world where disease is prevented rather than treated. We focus on providing digital diagnostic infrastructure to drive the earlier detection of disease. Our technologies use artificial intelligence and novel biomarkers to unlock clinical insight and improve patient outcomes.
The Cyted group develops and deploys digital diagnostic services for research and clinical use. Our services are designed to dignify and empower, placing patients at the heart of our services.
Cyted is seeking a Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) to join our amazing team. The MLA will play an important role in the day-to-day activities of our laboratory. The role holder will report to a Biomedical Scientist. The MLA will perform routine technical and scientific work in the laboratory under the supervision of the Biomedical Scientist. The role holder will be responsible for processing samples in good time and will ensure that service standards for reporting results are achieved. The MLA will be expected to prioritise their own workload using information provided by more senior laboratory staff. They will assist with training and support of Junior MLAs where appropriate. The role holder will be expected to maintain the highest standards of laboratory practice in line with HCPC and ISO 15189 policies.
- To assist in the running and maintenance in the slide scanning and up-loading service for both diagnostic and research work.
- Undertake routine laboratory techniques in line with applicable Standard Operating Procedures under the direction or supervision of a Biomedical Scientist.
- Carry out the entry of confidential patient data on the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Carry out clinical specimen preparation and dissection (cut up) under guidelines laid down by The Royal College of Pathologists.
- Scan and upload slides and images to external users.
- To assess and take appropriate action when a situation may compromise service delivery.
- Management of laboratory waste disposal including clinical specimens and cultures.
- Receipt, storage and distribution of laboratory consumables, and management of the laboratory storage areas.
- To undertake routine tasks essential to the general good maintenance of the laboratory e.g. daily upkeep of equipment, cleaning, washing up.
- Maintaining the highest standards of laboratory practice in line with Institute / IBMS, UKAS 15189 2012 and HTA policies.
Working pattern, location and salary:
The role is a full-time position with a standard 37.5 hour working week. The role holder may be required to work flexibly.
The Medical Laboratory Assistant will be based at our laboratory in Huntingdon.
Salary in the range of £22,000 to £24,000 per annum depending on skills and experience.
- 25 days holiday per holiday year, excluding public holidays
- Pension scheme
- A knowledgeable, high-achieving, experienced and fun team
- The chance to be part of a growing start-up, the next leader in building integrated diagnostics by combining molecular biomarkers with digital solutions
- Perks at work scheme
- Free refreshments
Qualifications and background:
- GCSE (grade C and above) in Maths and English (or equivalent)
- GCSE (grade C and above) in a science subject (or equivalent)
- Practical experience working in a medical or laboratory environment
- Working under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of medical terminology (desirable)
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload
- Computer literate, including word processing and spreadsheets
- Ability to handle confidential information (eg patient data) with complete discretion
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously and problem solve in an ever-changing work environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Laboratory bench skills (desirable)
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions in relation to this role.